Just a moment ago, you cradled your child in your arms and before long, he or she is all ready to explore the world.
You will notice that your child is eager to learn and communicate at this stage and perhaps, this is the best time for you to consider enrolling your child in a playgroup.
Children have different developmental needs at the early stages of childhood hence the influence of early learning is important.
Placing your child in the best playgroup in Singapore, it will have lasting beneficial effects on his or her cognitive, emotional and language development.
Here are some ways your child can benefit from attending a playgroup in Singapore.
Benefits of Putting Your Child in a Playgroup in Singapore
1. Learning in an environment that is best suited for your child
While some may think that a playgroup merely provides child-minding or babysitting services, the fact is a quality playgroup provides your child with a stimulated environment in which he or she can learn and thrive, even at an early age.
A good playgroup in Singapore has engaging programmes backed by research in early childhood development and facilitated by educators who are genuinely concerned about the growth and development of your child, making the childcare fees that you pay truly worthwhile.
At Little Footprints Preschool, an integrated approach for theme-based learning through experiential and progressive methods is adopted in our childcare programmes.
Your child will also learn to take charge of his or her own learning, a skill that is important to inculcate since young. Playgroups encourage children to gain independence. Your child will explore and try things on their own, which in turn boosts their self-confidence.
2. Building your child’s emotional confidence
In a childcare playgroup class, children have the opportunity to discover more about themselves and others through their interaction with one another as they play, learn and share experiences together.
Your child will learn to form and express emotional connections through working together as a team and the development of friendships. Over time, he or she will emerge as a more confident individual with all the experiences that he or she has undergone and through the interaction with trusted and caring adults.
Interacting with other children and playgroup teachers in a conducive setting helps children understand and manage their emotions. They learn empathy, kindness, and how to handle various feelings.
3. Encouraging physical activity outside of the home setting
It is widely known that physical development is an important part of supporting growing brains to learn and develop at school and beyond. Playgroups typically offer various physical activities, helping children develop gross and fine motor skills. Activities like running, jumping, and art and craft help to enhance their physical abilities.
In a playgroup in Singapore, children get to build their physical strength and immunity. Playtime and physical activities help to improve not only their physical fitness, but also increase social skills too.
4. Boosting language development through playgroup interactions
Through group activities, songs, and conversations, children develop their language skills and vocabulary. They learn to express themselves and understand others.
With increased interactions with their peers, children build self-confidence in speaking in one or even two languages from a young age.
Some areas of language development at playgroup include:
- Phonemic Awareness: Playgroups may include activities that introduce children to the sounds of language. This is a crucial pre-reading skill that supports their later literacy development.
- Listening Skills: Effective communication is two-way, and playgroups help to promote active listening. Children learn to pay attention to instructions, stories, and their friends' thoughts and ideas. This attentiveness is crucial for understanding and responding appropriately.
- Vocabulary Expansion: Playgroups often incorporate a variety of books, songs, and interactive activities that expose children to new words and concepts. This exposure helps children build their vocabulary and understand the meaning of words.
- Expressive Language: Playgroups encourage children to express themselves through talking, singing, and at times even dramatic play. Children gain confidence in expressing their thoughts, feelings, and ideas, which is essential for effective communication.
- Storytelling and Imagination: Through imaginative play, children create and share stories. This process boosts their narrative skills and imaginative thinking, laying the groundwork for future writing abilities.
5. Supporting your child’s imagination and creativity in the best playgroup
Besides looking into the physical and cognitive development of children, playgroups in Singapore also provide opportunities for these young ones to create, invent, reason and problem-solve through their activities, thereby building and supporting the children’s imagination and creativity.
Playgroups often include activities that stimulate a child's cognitive development such as puzzles, games, and hands-on learning experiences that enhance problem-solving and critical thinking.
At Little Footprints Preschool, your child will be exposed to various elements of art and music through their key programmes – HeART and MusicNality – and these are excellent avenues through which he or she could express himself or herself creatively.
6. Building resilience in your child for their education journey
If your child has been enjoying the undivided attention of a family member or a caregiver, then enrolling him or her in a playgroup will be a big step to take.
It is common to experience anxiety from your child. However, it is important to note that this is a normal transition and will actually contribute to his or her growth.
Your child will learn to adapt to the childcare environment that is outside of his or her comfort zone, manage stress and eventually thrive in different settings as he or she grows.
Attending a playgroup can serve as a gentle introduction to a more structured educational setting. Children become familiar with routines and transitions, making the transition to preschool or kindergarten smoother.
7. Developing social skills in your child through playgroup and learn about diversity
In a playgroup, your child gets to mingle with other children when they come together to interact, play and learn. It is a great opportunity for your child to be introduced to basic social skills and to practise them as he or she negotiates with peers, resolves conflict, takes turns, shares and makes friends in a safe and nurturing childcare environment.
Children in playgroups are exposed to a diverse group of peers, which introduces, and then fosters an understanding and appreciation of different backgrounds and cultures from a young age.
8. Building routines and learning manners at playgroup
As your child enters playgroup, he or she will learn to go through structures and routines set by the teacher. Such order and predictability are beneficial to young children. Following a timetable and schedule helps children understand that there is a flow and allows them to build healthy habits at preschool.
Your child will get to learn how to follow simple instructions and to practise socially appropriate behaviour in the playgroup. Good manners are taught, modelled and further reinforced by teachers as your child gets to practise them.
9. Preparing your child for childcare in Singapore by attending playgroup
Most importantly, playgroups help make learning enjoyable. Children develop a positive attitude towards learning and exploration, setting a solid foundation for their educational journey.
When your child attends a playgroup, he or she will be familiar with a learning environment that is built on routines and structures, hence helping him or her to transit to a childcare setting in Singapore more readily.
It is quite likely that you will experience little to no struggle in getting your child to attend preschool in the very near future.
Schedule a Visit With Us!
There are indeed many benefits to placing your child in a playgroup where he or she will go through a holistic learning experience in the childcare centre that you have enrolled him or her in.
It is important that you schedule a visit to the centre to find out more from the principal and teachers about the school’s philosophy and curriculum, as well as the fees that you have to pay for the childcare service in a playgroup.
Through the visit, you will be able to gain some perspectives about the quality of the teachers and how the staff interacts with the children.
Follow us on social media to stay updated on our latest updates and happenings: